- accommodation, restaurants, things to do
Waters Motor Inn, 28 Tasman Hwy, Orford (03) 6257 1102
Motel, Tasman Hwy, Orford (03) 6257 1114
Cottages, Old Convict Rd, Orford (03) 6257 1655
53 Barton Ave, Orford (03) 6225 3995
House, 33 Walpole St, Orford (03) 6257 1527
- things to do
|Video of area
Golf Club, 75 Tasman Hwy, Orford (03) 6257 1249
- some history & information
Orford lies at
the mouth of the Prosser River at the end of Paradise Gorge
on the east coast, just 80 kilometres north of Hobart.
was named by Edward Walpole, who was granted 1,000 acres
(4 km²) in the area in 1831 and the town was first
established as a mainland port for the convict settlement
on Maria Island.
A quarry situated
between Orford and Spring Beach provided sandstone for use
in buildings in Hobart and Melbourne, including the Melbourne
General Post Office.
cut from the quarry were rolled down on to ships waiting
at a jetty at the foot of the cliff face.
Orford has several clean,
picturesque beaches - including Raspins, Millingons, Spring
and Rheban - with a popular campsite at Raspins Beach.
Nearby is the
well-regarded 9-hole Orford Golf Course and the Darlington
In February 2007 an artificial
reef and dive site was created from the scuttling of the
ship the Troy D in the Mercury Passage approximately 1 km
off Maria Island, to further bolster the area's reputation
as a premier location for scuba diving, thanks to its unpolluted
water and abundant sea life.
The ferry from nearby
Eastcoaster Resort takes you to Maria, a very special island
which has something for everyone - historic ruins, sweeping
bays, rugged cliffs and mountains and a remarkably tame
Abel Tasman named the island in honour of Maria Van Diemen,
wife of the Governor of Batavia. To
forestall any attempt by the French to establish a toehold
in the New World, the English established a settlement on
Maria in 1823, seven years before the founding of the Port
Arthur penal colony.
There is a hotel,
quite a few holiday units, holiday houses available for
rent, a convention centre, a small Anglican church and a
police station. There
is a golf course, a lawn bowls club, a cricket club, a small
hall and a community netball court.
The Old Convict Road
is precisely as its name suggests - a road built by convicts-
is now a pleasant walk through the bush land beside the
No one knows exactly
when the road was built although it must have been constructed
some time between 1841 when a Probation Station for new
convicts was established at Buckland and 1855 when the last
Probation Station inthe area was closed down.The
walk lasts about 40 minutes.
The weather on
Tasmania’s east coast is typically settled and warm,
with an average maximum temperature of 22.5 degrees Celsius
in summer and 10-15 degrees Celsius in winter.