- accommodation, restaurants, things to do
O'Ross Hotel, 35 Church St, Ross (03) 6381 5445
|T Spot Cafe
/ Tea House, 13-17 Bridge St, Ross (03) 6381 5453
Motel, 2 High St, Ross (03) 6381 5224
Hotel, 35 Church St, Ross (03) 6381 5445
Inn B & B, 15 Church St, Ross (03) 6381 5246
Historic Estate, Midlands Highway, Ross (03) 6381 5231
Caravan Park, Bridge St, Ross (03) 6381 5224
of Ross, Church St, Ross (03) 6381 5354
Cabin, 13-17 Bridge St, Ross (03) 6381 5453
- things to do
images of the area
Wool Centre, Church St, Ross (03) 6381 5466
Factory Site, Cnr Bond & Portugal Sts, Ross (03)
at T Spot, 13-17 Bridge St, Ross (03) 6381 5453
- some history & information
Ross is very typically
English and, with its warm Ross sandstone, is reminiscent
of the towns which can be seen in the Cotswolds or in north
Oxfordshire and it is beautifully preserved. Cobble-style
paths and old, tall elm trees line the main road and give
this picture-perfect town an air of tranquillity.
The town of Ross itself is listed
on the Register of the National Estate and many of the town’s
historic buildings, mainly built from sandstone, are listed
in their own right. There are a total of 40 historic buildings
On an expedition
in 1821, Governor Lachlan Macquarie passed through the area
himself and, as he recorded in his journal,
"I named our last Night's Station 'Ross', in honor
of H. M. Buchanan Esqr. – that being the name of his
Seat on Loch-Lomond in Scotland; this part of Argyle Plains
on the Right Bank of the Macquarie River being very beautiful
and commanding a noble view."
Later that year,
a timber bridge was built over the river and subsequently
Ross became an important stopover on road journeys between
Launceston and Hobart.
as a base for the local garrison and became a centre for
trade for the surrounding district.
Ross stone bridge was convict constructed in 1836.
It is the third
oldest bridge still standing in Australia and is recognised
as the most important convict-built bridge in the country.
Lieutenant-Governor Arthur, the bridge was designed by architect
John Lee Archer, with the convict work team including two
stonemasons, James Colbeck and Daniel Herbert, the latter
being credited with the intricate carvings along both sides
of the bridge.
The main crossroad
in Ross is known, with some humour, as Temptation, Recreation,
Salvation and Damnation.
The reason for
this combination is that on one corner (Temptation) stood
the Man-O-Ross Hotel, on another corner (Salvation) was
the Roman Catholic Church, on the third corner was the Town
Hall (Recreation) and on the fourth stood the Jail (Damnation).
The convict site
dates back to the 1840s. Usually referred to as the Female
Factory, it was one of only a few female convict compounds
in Australia. There is
one remaining building on the site, the Assistant Superintendent's
Quarters, which currently houses a display relating to the
not to miss is the Ross Bakery, with its original semi-scotch
brick ‘3 bag’ wood-fired oven. (In a scotch
oven the fire is lit inside the oven; in a semi-scotch oven
it’s lit in a chamber to one side of the oven.)
The bakery, which
has the capacity to bake more than 300 loaves of bread ‘3-bag’
refers to three hundredweight bags of flour), has been operating
on the site for more than a century.Ross
enjoys a daily average maximum temperature of 23.5 degrees
Celsius in January and 11.5 degrees Celsius in June. It
is 80 kilometres south of Launceston and 122 kilometres
north of Hobart.